ROASTED SAN MARZANO TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
Leaves are changing colour, the air is a bit crisper and sandals are being put back in the closet. Autumn is upon us, and what better way to cozy up to the season than with a bowl of classic tomato soup? Try our Roasted San Marzano Tomato Soup Recipe in Notch8 Restaurant with our signature Notch8 Bread. Yield: 8L
5lbs Canned San Marzano or fresh Ripe Roma Tomatoes (cored/halved
5 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1.5ea Onions (sliced thin)
1.5ea Carrots (peeled and diced)
5ea Garlic Cloves
1.5L Vegetable Stock
2.5 Bunches Basil (stalks and leaves separated) / Salt & Pepper
- Tomato Oil
- Whole Cherry Tomatos (peeled)
- Fromage Frais
- If using canned whole San Marzano tomatoes, drain the liquid from the can and then cut in half.
- Toss the tomatoes in salt, pepper and sugar and arrange cut side up on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for an hour in a 375F oven until tomatoes begin to soften and char around the edges.
- In a large pot, saut&eacute; the onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Chop up the basil stalks, add to the pot and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and all the juices from the baking sheet as well.
- Add half of the stock at first and then bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and continue to cook for half an hour, adding more vegetable stock as needed. Add the basil leaves near the end.
- Blend the soup and adjust consistency with more vegetable stock if necessary.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, strain through a fine mesh strainer and cool.
- Garnish with tomato oil, formage frais &amp; cherry tomatos if desired.
For reheating the soup, stir in one tablespoon of butter and a touch of sherry vinegar.