Yellow Curry with Chickpeas & Prawns
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1-2 dried red chili
- 3 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 14-ounce cans light coconut milk
- 1 heaping tsp ground turmeric
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and well rinsed)
- 1 cup green peas
- 16 Prawns (optional)
- fresh basil and cilantro for serving (optional)
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, ginger, garlic, and shallot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened.
2. Add dried chili (optional) and yellow curry paste. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute more, stirring frequently.
3. Add bell pepper and stir to coat. Then add coconut milk, turmeric, and chickpeas. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Then reduce heat to low and continue cooking (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes.
4. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding sea salt for saltiness or coconut sugar for sweetness. For more heat, add a bit more curry paste (or a pinch of cayenne pepper).
5. Add peas (optional), prawns (optional), stir, and cook for 5 minutes more.
6. Serve as is or over brown or white rice.
7. Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro (optional). Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.